Friday, February 24, 2012

The Return of Day Baseball


It's hard to believe but I did not attend my first night game until the late 70's.   Wrigley field,  pictured above, would not have night baseball until the 1988,  and I was in high school when I ventured into the old County Stadium to see the Milwaukee Brewers.  Head East did a pregame concert and every Brew Crew home run resulted in Bernie Brewer dunking into a giant beer mug.   I couldn't believe we didn't do this at Wrigley and wondered if we would ever get with the program and join the modern world.   It wasn't until the early 90's that I would hop on the green line in Oak Park and ride up to the circus that was Wrigleyville for my first Cubs night game.  It was so much fun that I figured that the antiquated day game was for little kids and geriatrics.

20 years later as I find myself on the doorstep of 50, and  I've finally come to appreciate the simple pleasures of day baseball.  Sitting in the shade in our seats at loge box 138  eating takeout Thai food from Pad Thai,  I find myself thinking it just doesn't get any better than this.    As luck would have it during our ticket drawing for this year's Red Sox season,  I was able to grab all day games, and find myself back where I was in the 70's.   Older and a little wiser and still enjoying baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment