Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Who Am I?

I am Al Howland and Iʼm running for the Durham seat on the Oyster River School Board. My family and I have lived in Durham for thirteen and a half years, and despite the power outages, think this is a remarkable area. My wife Janet Perkins is a full time OB/GYN at a private practice. We have strong ties to the schools as a result of three children in the district: one at the elementary school, one at the middle school, and one at the high school.
Before I embarked on my current job as cook, driver and volunteer (read: stay-at-home dad), I worked as a high school science teacher in suburban Chicago. In addition to teaching Biology and Earth Science, I had an opportunity to coach girlsʼ cross country and boysʼ track. One of my most memorable experiences came working on a grant directing students to conduct a building energy audit. It is a remarkable thing to watch engaged students take charge. Recently, I have had the chance to volunteer at the Moharimet library, and, despite my poorly guarded disguise, I am Captain Balance! These opportunities have given me a chance to learn about our kids and many wonderful elementary programs. Iʼve also learned a great deal from parents as a result of helping to run the ORMS ski club and Kids Who Care Club, started by my wife several years ago.


One thing that is clear to those of us living in this area is that our schools form the bedrock of our community. They help to provide our kids with the tools they need to succeed in the future. They have introduced us to amazing teachers and parents, helping us form some of our best friendships. They help our area remain attractive to families and that helps maintain our property values. It is to everyoneʼs advantage to have our schools thrive. Despite those incentives, our district is experiencing painful conflict. We have become diverted from our primary task of evaluating our academics, keeping those which work and discarding those that donʼt. In order for us to move forward on a productive path, we need to know how effective our programs are and how best to allocate our limited resources.


As a board member I would encourage all parties involved to speak freely, regardless of their point of view. It will be my duty to conduct all district business in a manner that meets the Right to Know law. I must evaluate the superintendentʼs ability to provide efficient and effective academic programs. It is my aim to improve community dialogue in a civil and constructive way so that we can address the challenges confronting the district.


I value: Honesty, fairness, equal opportunity, fiscal responsibility.


Things that are important to me: All students have the opportunity to maximize their talents; our schools demonstrate academic excellence; we support teachersʼ and studentsʼ quests to seek innovative solutions to real world issues.


My strengths: Working with parents, teachers and students; listening to and considering all points of view; intellectually curious


Thank you for your consideration.


 Al Howland Durham

No comments:

Post a Comment